In assessing the success of our Special Educational Needs (SEN) policy we are required to comment on the effectiveness of the school's systems for identification, assessment, provision, monitoring and record keeping and the use of outside agencies and support services. 

The SEN Governor is Deidre Brook and the SENDCo is Ms Olivia Bates (Head teacher).  The school has a SEND Policy that defines our aims and objectives and this available to any parent on request. The policy is updated annually and is written in line with the Code of Practice and the Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001. The code details the rights and responsibilities of parents and children throughout the process. 

Kensworth C of E Primary School SEND Local Offer
Kensworth is a mainstream primary school with an inclusive ethos.  The school is committed to early identification of special educational need and adopts a graduated response to meeting special educational need in line with the Code of Practice 2014.

How will the school know if my child needs additional help?
At Kensworth C of E Primary School children are identified as having SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) through a variety of ways, usually a combination, which may include some of the following:

  • Liaison with previous school or setting
  • Child is performing below ’age expected’ levels or equivalent
  • Concerns raised by parent
  • Concerns raised by  a teacher: for example, if behaviour or self-esteem is affecting progress
  • Children with a Statement/EHCP (Education Health and Care Plan) already have many of their needs clearly identified. Their placement at our school is a decision that is made by the Local Authority.

Parents/carers are kept informed at all stages in the process of identification and assessment of needs. They are invited to participate in discussions linked to the support planned for their child and the role that they can play at home.

How do I raise concerns if I need to?
Talk to us – we have an ‘open-door’ policy, contact your child’s teacher about your concerns initially. If you feel that you would like to speak to a senior member of staff, ask to arrange an appointment with Mrs Dicocco (HT & SENCO). Appointments can be arranged in person, by phone or by email.

How will the school support my child?
Our open door policy encourages the partnership between the school and parents/carers. This is vital in enabling children with SEND to achieve their potential. We recognise that parents/carers hold key information and have knowledge and experience to contribute to a shared view of the child’s needs and make valuable contributions of how to support them.

Who will oversee, plan and work with my child and how often?

  • The class teacher will oversee, plan and work with each child with SEND in their class to ensure that appropriate progress is made in every area
  • Our SENCO oversee the progress of any child identified as having SEND
  • There may be a TA (Teaching Assistant) working with your child either individually or as part of a group. The content of this support begins, as part of a child’s bespoke programme of learning and is reviewed and updated during termly review conversations.
  • School may ‘sign-post’ parents to other outside agencies and support groups such as The Parent Partnership

Who will explain this to me?

  • The class teacher will meet with you formally on at least a termly basis (this could be part of consultation meetings or separately), in order to discuss your child’s progress and the support they are receiving
  • Class teachers are always happy to discuss your child’s needs if you have questions or concerns between more formal meetings. Please speak to them directly to arrange this
  • An appointment can be made with the SENCO to discuss support in more detail if required
  • Support plans will be shared with you and your child (age appropriate)

What support is offered to ensure the well-being of children with special educational needs and disabilities?
In line with our caring Christian ethos we are an inclusive school and strive to ensure the wellbeing of all our children. Wellbeing is supported through the following:

  • Each teacher has good knowledge and understanding of the children in their care, one of the advantages of being a very small school is that all other staff within the school are aware of the needs for most children
  • Depending on their needs, some children may have a Care Plan linked to medical conditions
  • Medicines are administered in line with our ‘Managing Medicines in School’ policy
  • To promote positive friendships, we may use ‘circle time’
  • We are also able to refer children to CHUMS, an outside agency that provides counselling and support in bereavement
  • Emotional wellbeing is also supported by ensuring that children who find ‘change’ difficult are well prepared for any changes or transitions
  • When moving class they have transition sessions and when moving to secondary school additional transition days are arranged to ensure that they feel confident in moving on

How will teaching be adapted to support the child with SEND?
Special Educational Provision is underpinned by high quality teaching that is differentiated and personalised to meet individual needs. Differentiation may take the form of adapted resources, differentiated tasks and/or a modified curriculum. The SENCO and external agencies may provide advice and resources to support teachers to meet individual needs through high quality differentiated teaching.

What other different types of support can the child expect to receive in school?
Support for children may vary according to their individual learning or medical needs, and could include:

  • Participation in intervention groups which addresses their particular needs
  • Timetables may be adapted to meet individual needs
  • In-class support
  • 1:1 or small group work to address the targets in a child’s support plan

What support is in place to meet children’s physical needs?

  • Physiotherapists and Occupational Therapists provide specific advice and guidance for targeted children. They will also provide training for staff. TAs will support children with specific interventions such as handwriting or fine motor skills either individually or in small groups.
  • The school building is on one level and is accessible to all. We have a designated disabled toilet


What support is in place to meet children’s medical needs?

  • The school nurse visits school to carry out checks and to provide training for staff. They will also assist in writing Health Care plans for children
  • We have a qualified First Aider in the Work Place. All staff have had first aid training and all staff in Early Years have Paediatric First Aid training
  • Medicines are stored safely in designated lockers
  • All staff are JEXT/Epi pen trained
  • We are able to administer medicines to children as directed by parents/carers (indemnity form)

How will the school support the child with SEND in unstructured times such as playtimes and lunchtimes and enable them to have access to after school clubs, school trips and school journeys?
Specific arrangements may be made for particular children to meet their individual needs during unstructured times in the school day. Lunch and playtimes are staffed to ensure safe adult/child ratios.

Pupils with SEND are encouraged to participate in all school activities.  School trips are accompanied by a high ratio of adults and if required, identified children are partnered with a friend and the class teacher or teaching assistant. Parents/carers are invited to accompany school visits and may be asked to assist with the planning with school staff if necessary.

The school complies with the Disability Discrimination Act (2010) in making reasonable adjustments for pupils with SEND.

How does the School involve children in decisions that affect them?
Kensworth is an inclusive school and every child is encouraged to be an independent learner and able to express their views. We ensure that they are involved in decisions that affect their education whenever possible. This is achieved through pupil questionnaires, School Council and support plan reviews with staff and parents.

We believe that all children are unique and special.  

What other agencies can provide support to children with SEND?
We liaise with a range of outside agencies in order to use their expertise. They contribute through providing observations, reports, advice for teachers and parents and by attending professionals meetings.

What specialist training do staff have in SEND?
Teachers encounter a wide range of pupils with a variety of special needs. In many cases, the action necessary to respond to an individual’s requirements for curriculum access will be met through greater differentiation of tasks, consistent with school-based intervention as set out in the SEND Code of Practice.

Staff have received training linked to supporting children on the Autistic Spectrum.

We have excellent links with The Chiltern Academy , our local special school.

Further Information & Links

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities: an overview
The Children and Families Act which became law in 2014, has resulted in changes in the way you and your child receives support from our local council, health and social care services and nurseries, schools and colleges:

Statements of Special Educational Needs and Learning Difficulty Assessments
These are being replaced with a single education, health and care (EHC) plan: this will place more emphasis on the child or young person’s personal goals and will describe the support a child will receive in order to achieve these. The plan will replace the need for multiple documents form different organisations. It will ensure that all the information about the child or young person is held in the same place so that all of the professionals involved in your child’s support are fully aware of all of their needs and aspirations, and plan together how to meet them.

All children and young people who currently have a statement of SEN will move across to the EHC plans by 2017. This will usually be at a time of transition for your child (for example when the child changes school).

Once your child has an EHC plan, you may choose to apply for a personal budget if you wish. A Personal Budget is designed to give you and your child more control over certain aspects of the support your child needs. A personal budget is a payment that is made to allow you to source and fund some of the services your child needs yourself. The amount you may be given, and how it  could be spent is something that would be agreed with the council. A personal budget is not compulsory, and parents are able to decide whether they wish to fund some of their child’s support in this way or not.

More details can be found at:

SEN support (School Action and School Action Plus)
For children with less complex needs, School Action and School Action Plus (or for Early Years Action and Early Years Action Plus in the early years) has been removed from the new SEND Code of Practice.

SEND Code of Practice approved by Parliament – 29.07.14
All children and young people are entitled to good quality teaching, differentiated according to their needs. For children and young people in Central Bedfordshire for whom there is deemed to be an additional need, there will continue to be a graduated response and guidance for all educational providers. The new guidance will be called stage 1, and stage 2, with stage 3 being the trigger for a formal request for statutory EHC Plan through the process of statutory assessment.

Central Bedfordshire Council SEN Parent and Young Person Partnership Service
CBC have set up a website with support and information for parents and carers, to access this free service please follow the link below.


Local Offer
The ‘Local Offer’ provides information for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities and their parents and cares in one place. The Local Offer for Central Bedfordshire can be found at:

Back to top